Provide your animal(s) with fresh food and water daily.
Clean up and properly dispose of waste products. (If you see another owner/guardian not taking care of this responsibility, please say something to them. A few irresponsible caretakers can ruin it for everyone else.)
Provide exercise opportunities for your animal. This helps keep your animal happier and reduces the potential of nuisance issues. Dogs Need Socialization AND they need to be WALKED!
Provide safe play objects for your animal.
Brush or groom them as appropriate.
Promptly eliminate any nuisance issues (eg., additional training to avoid nuisance excessive barking)
Animals should always be under control in common areas. Dogs should always be on a leash when outside (except in a free-run dog park). Telescoping leashes are only appropriate where close control isn’t needed. Short leashes should be used in elevators, hallways, catwalks, and similar closed areas. Cats and other small animals should be in appropriate carriers when taken outside.
Do not leave animals tied up outside. Never leave them alone in a car with windows closed.
In case of a hurricane or other emergency, take your animals with you. (Do NOT lock them inside.)
Spend quality time with them – and they will return love in kind.
Prepare for emergencies: Set up contacts for pet sitting in case of emergency. Put out care instructions and veterinarian contact info.
Designate someone to take over in case you are no longer able to care for your animal.
According to Dr. Jon [email@example.com], “If you want to keep a large dog in an apartment or a small house, you need to be prepared to provide lots of exercise through daily runs or by letting your dog out in a yard or dog park.” See Dr. Jon’s advice on How to Love a Dog in an Apartment
See also Responsible Pet Ownership Communities (from the National Canine Research Council).
A PET’S TEN COMMANDMENTS………
1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10 On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can’t bear to watch. Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
~Take a moment today be thankful for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.
Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without our critters.
~Now please pass this on to other pet owners. We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!